Chocolate Protein Muffins
When it come close to “that time of the month” I will do almost anything to get my hands on some fudge chocolate muffins.
And to save myself from weight gain I have discovered a recipe that is basically damage control. It’s made with protein powder instead of carbs and butternut pumpkin rather then butter or oil for the fudgieness.
This recipe is made in the microwave…but you could also make it in the oven to produce 8 serves and freeze some for later.
They’re an excellent low carb snack alternative and they satisfy your sugar cravings plus keep hungry at bay!
You could definitely make it more chocolatey by adding sugar free chocolate chips…but I had none
If you’d prefer you could substitute the pumpkin for:
- Mashed bananas
- Full fat greek yoghurt
- Low GI potatoes
- Black beans
- Butter beans or
- Sweet potato
There’s heaps of alternatives to using flours!
so next time you’re craving something gooey, fudgy and super chocolatey…try this recipe, which makes 8 fudgychocolate protein brownies or 6 jumbo chocolate protein muffins
Fudgy Chocolate Protein Muffins…or Brownies:
- 720g pumpkin, skinned
- 200g vanilla or chocolate protein
- 4 egg whites
- 65g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup Natvia
- 2 tsp. baling powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Steam pumpkin or microwave till soft
- Combine protein powder, cocoa powder, natvia and baking powder in a bowl
- Blend steamed pumpkin, egg whites and vanilla essence in a food processor or blender
- Add steamed pumpkin mix to the protein powder mix and combine well
- Add more sweetness or unsweetened cocoa powder if you feel it needs
- Line muffin tin or baking pan with baking paper or grease with coconut oil
- Add mixture to muffin tray or baking pan
- Bake for 20 mins
- Stick a skewer in the middle after 20 minutes and cook longer if needed
- Serve or wrap and freeze individually for later!
If you’re just feeling like a quick single serve chocolate protein muffin then try this recipe instead:
Single Serve Chocolate Protein Muffins Low Carb and Low Calorie
- 1 cup pumpkin, cubed
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp. protein powder
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp. stevia extract
- 1 tbsp. natvia
Optional add in:
- 1 tbsp. coconut flour
- 1 tbsp. sugar free chocolate chip cookies
- 2 tbsp. raspberries
- steam or microwave pumpkin until soft
- Add protein powder, cocoa powder and Natvia to a bowl and mix well
- blend egg white, pumpkin, stevia and vanilla essence in a blender or food processor
- Add the pumpkin mix in with the protein mix and combine well
- Transfer into a microwave safe bowl and cook for 90 seconds or longer if you need
- Allow to cool for 1 minute and then enjoy!