Ok I have a confession, I have the biggest sweet tooth ever! Omg, every single day I need to have something sweet.
Usually this would be a problem for me, but living a sugar free lifestyle means I can enjoy all the delicious sweets I love, as long as they are naturally sweetened of course.
When I was a young girl I remember my mum making jams and chutney’s for our school fete. The smell of the cooked strawberries covered in sugar was so divine. As you can tell strawberry jam was my absolute favourite! Closely followed by apricot jam…mmm apricots.
Have I told you already, strawberries and apricots have one of the lowest sugar content in them? And they are also LO GI which means you don’t get the blood sugar spike like other high sugar fruits give you 🙂
Anyways back to the story…I was craving strawberry jam and of course there was none in the house because it’s full of SUGAR and mostly refined sugar. As a solution I made my own sugar free version…and it was yum!
Thank God I did it, not only did it take less than 10 mins but it tasted AMAZING.
So I had all this strawberry Jam leftover and I know Joel loves coconut so I was inspired to make a “raspberry coconut slice” unfortunately I didn’t have all the right ingredients on me, so I made my own unique version. Man It was good!! and It was simple, easy and quick to make. Literally I made it in 15 mins, and because I just came home from the gym, I was able to shower while it cooked!
Ok so he is the recipe…and if you’re nervous about making it check out this video here. It’s an honest raw opinion of what Joel thought of the mini cake.
Sugar Free Strawberry And Coconut Mini Cake
Recipe for the Base
- 55g Almonds ( I had to use sunflower seeds because it’s all I had, but almonds would have been epic)
- 22g coconut oil
- 1 egg white
- 10g coconut flour
Recipe for Sugar Free Strawberry Jam
- 150g strawberries ( I only had frozen strawberries in the house)
- 8g Natvia Sugar Replacement
- fresh lemon juice to taste
Recipe for Coconut Goodness Topping
- 25g shredded coconut
- 1 egg white
- 16g natvia sugar replacement
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
- In a food processor add coconut oil (melt before hand) and the rest of the base ingredients
- Press base into slice tin or a ceramic ramekin (again it’s what I had at the time :)) .
- Prick base several times with a fork.
- Bake for 15 mins or until beautifully golden brown.
- Make strawberry jam- choose a small pot and add strawberries and natvia and cook on a very low heat. Add lemon to taste. I uses a potato masher to delump the jam, after it was cooked.
- Add Natvia, shredded coconut and egg white to a food process and mix till everything is deliciously combined.
- Top the base with jam and then coconut topping.
- Bake for a further 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool before enjoying it!…Sugar Free Ice-cream would taste epic with this! (stay tuned for my creamy guilt free recipe)